Basic Coastal Navigation
Course Length: 3 hours
Can you navigate home successfully when your chartplotter and GPS fail at the most inopportune moment? Learn essential, paper and pencil navigation techniques plus electronic navigation and how to integrate both for ease, safe and successful near-coastal passage making.
Coastal Navigation is designed to acquaint you with all the tools, publications and skills required for successful coastal navigation, both with and without electronic aids.
It consists of classroom work focusing on the theory, practice, and procedures of navigation and piloting.
- Compass: variation, deviation, compass error
- Plotting and course determination
- Dead reckoning
- Calculating distance, speed and time
- Determining position using 3 bearing fix
- Establishing a running fix
- Practical use of navigational publication
Notes: In addition to the provided materials you must have or acquire the following tools and items: (click for link)
- Parallel Rule (12” or 15”)[ #NP140 or #NP142]
- Dividers (one or two-handed version – 7” recommended) [#NP170]
- Pencils (mechanical w/0.5 or 0.7 mm leads are recommended) [#NP1141]
- Erasers (soft eraser)
- Calculator (battery or solar)
All of these items are available for purchase at Landfall Navigation. Please call in advance of the course to purchase for shipping to you or to have us set aside the equipment the equipment for you to pick up on Day 1 of the course.
As a follow-up students are invited to take the In-Depth Coastal Navigation course