: 3 hours
This workshop covers current marine communications technologies that may (or may not) be appropriate for your boat, such as VHF, DSC, EPIRB, PLB, and SSB, plus registration, legal and licensing requirements.
- Proper protocol for your boat's VHF radio
- What's your call sign?
- How to make a distress call
- Why does my radio have so many channels?
- How to make a DSC call
- Buyer's guide for VHF radios
- Do you really need a PLB or EPIRB?
- Do you really need single sideband radio?
- Contrast and compare: Cell phone vs. VHF
- Radio station and radio operator licensing requirements
- What is squelch? Are you a squelcher?
- Do I need a radio with a built-in GPS?
- Satellite phone or cell phone (or both)?
Facilitator: Captain Lori Rainaldi
Certification: Upon course completion you will receive a Landfall Navigation Marine Training Center certificate of completion in Marine Radio Procedures.
Notes: Advance reading requirements and classroom handouts will be provided